Twee Time: Picnic Perfect Edition

All things twee! I feel like I should have a section of my blog dedicated to "twee time." If you aren't familiar with this term, the trusty google defines it as: excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty or sentimental. In my mind it basically just means I enjoy all the little cute things in life, i.e. flower pots by the window sill, baking deliciousness, picnics, a lot of home decor, stationary shops and the like! Initially, I fancy all DIY projects!

That said, with summer coming to an end (always a sad time) I am in the process of trying to gather my friends and escape for quite possibly the last fun-in-the-sun we will be having this August. The weather has already started to dim and though it has been sunshiny bright this past week, it had been raining for two weeks prior. Thus, my plan is to have a PICNIC EXTRAVAGANZA. I thought perhaps writing in caps would add to the excitement!? No?

I've been searching through the depths of the web, though mainly Pinterest, to find some unique lunch ideas that will inspire me to make the day even more memorable. I'm thinking of heading to Centre Island, an island accessible through a ferry from the city's harbour. There we could rent bikes, lounge on the beach and admire Toronto's cityscape. All while having the fun of my proposed picnic box perfection.

Here are some contents that I intend to fill these picnic-perfect-boxes.

1. You will need a paper bag or box, as well as some of these picnic essentials. 
It makes it easier to write on these surfaces; leaving individual notes for each friend on their exclusive lunches. Other essentials you will need: blanket, napkins, utensils, a bag or basket to carry all the things to the location. And if you so desire, some pillows. You will not need plates or cups because each person will have their individual drink bottle and lunch. If you decide you prefer a potluck picnic, then bring plates and so on. That way each individual can pick their food from the dishes and neatly eat.
2. Make sure you know what each of your friends enjoys to eat OR can't have.
One of my best friends hates onions and is not a big fan of sandwiches, while the other is gluten intolerant. I myself am lactose intolerant, thus each basket needs to have a meal that encompasses each of our personal tastes. If you feel that all this is too much work, just find a meal like a tuna, chicken, pasta or potato salad that all will enjoy. Then you can have several sides such as honey drizzled fruit salad; veggies and hummus or other dips; cheese or peanut butter & jam on a fresh baked loaf or scones.



3. A picnic would not be perfect without a delicious beverage, alcoholic or otherwise.
I love gin and tonic, so I figured a convenient idea would be to make your drink and bring it in a mason jar with a bottle of Perrier. Choose a drink of your choice, if you are not of a legal age to drink or you'd prefer a tea then bring lemonade, juice or a virgin-sangria (floating berries included) in a glass bottle.
*side note: Another way to pack some alcohol drinks, would be to buy individual drink chasers (soda or juice) and tie a mini bottle of liquor to it!

4. Add some home-baked or bought goods! 
If you would prefer other forms of sweet and treats, just buy some chocolates and candies and wrap them in small transparent gift bags. Then tie them with some ribbon or string. If you want a healthy alternative then have a fruit skewer dipped in sugar-free milk/dark chocolate. OR, you can have some apricots with greek yogurt and granola. Also, if none of you are fans of dessert, then just make a scrumptious cheese platter with an assortment of rice crackers, crisps, figs, dates, berries and grapes; this would also be great for those who are gluten intolerant. I could never say no to a good dessert and love to bake, so I would probably pack some home-made cranberry shortbread cookies and chocolate dipped strawberries.

5. Finally, add some activities to enjoy your day out.
For my box I would add stationary: a little notepad and pencil stationary because I am a list-making fiend. Then for friends who love photography, I would add some DIY photo-booth masks & party favors. If you just want general fun-goodies then go to a nearby dollar store or cheap thrift shop and buy random bits and bobs. Need any ideas? Think of random games you played as kid, if they have cards buy those or a hilarious hello-kitty watch for your manly boyfriend, guaranteed he will appreciate it.
All photos found on Pinterest.

Stay tuned as I will be posting the outcome of the baskets in the near future :)
Meanwhile, if you're looking for some more picnic or DIY ideas check out my Pinterest.

Have a marvellous and sunshiny day!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive