Things to Smile About


The randomness of my neighbourhood

Allow for all your daydreams to inspire hope in your life. I've recently fallen into nights of silly emotions and procrastinating, weakening my spirits and convincing me that "this" is all there is. I somehow lost touch with my reveries and wandering spirit - the spirit that has always swallowed my heart whole with ambition and desire for fun adventures, and the things I love most: travel, writing and photography; I should probably add good food and coffee to that list.

Sometimes "real life" gets the best of us. It drains and exhausts - beckoning all faith to hide, while simultaneously concealing our path. I've felt lost countless times now, having absolutely no idea of whether I'm in a career I love or not; trying to figure out the "right" choices; and helplessly wondering when things would fall into place. I have always known that change is a vital part of growth, however, I disregarded how difficult it could be. With routine comes comfort, and without it comes a sort of rawness, which evokes insecurities and vulnerability. I felt ignorant - I have always been the friend, employee and daughter who could help others through their difficult situations, and now here I was, unable to help myself.

It took a lot for me to step outside my sarcastic and stubborn shell to admit that perhaps - just maybe - I needed guidance. I wanted someone to tell me what to do with my life, which I quickly learned was not an easy feat. Most people would tell me to figure it out and decide for myself what I wanted to achieve; what I could see myself doing; what I desired. Although I'd known there was nothing anyone could tell me to do that I hadn't already thought of myself, the countless questions promoting self-discovery still seemed redundant - if I'd known the answers, I wouldn't be seeking their advice.

Instead, I've decided to write this entry as a list - one that will work as a reminder for any of you that are feeling similar to what I've written above - to keep smiling, keep dreaming and stay happy. Two friends gave me such simple and valuable advice:
1. Make time for your hobbies no matter what.
2. Don't let your insecurities get in the way of your great potential.

20 things that make me happy:
1. Warm coffee on an autumn morning
2. Nights in with (never enough) wine and boundless conversation
3. Yoga
4. Waking up to sun rays speckling my face
5. Carefree dance parties
6. Living out the day as if in a French film
7. Discovering new spaces in familiar places
8. Impulse trips to anywhere
9. The ticklish feeling of kittens paws walking all over you
10. Fresh food
11. Cobbled streets
12. Being able to afford to buy/do what you've wanted for so long
13. Laughing so much you've forgotten why it's funny
14. Random bursts of inexplicable pure joy
15. Hot showers after cold nights
16. Candlelit rooms
17. Writing thoughtlessly into a notebook
18. The excitement of sitting in an airport/station before the journey
19. Old antique bookstores
20. Anything at midnight


Write your own 'happy list', as a reminder of all the exciting, positive and memorable moments that make life worthwhile.

All the love,
D.

1 comments:

  1. Thank you! I'm glad someone enjoyed it :) Happy Holidays x

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Archive