A Monochrome Affair


All photos taken from various sources via my Pinterest account.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I hereby confess that I am addicted to monochrome - my entire wardrobe is made up of it. Colours? Who needs 'em. I have perfected a style that materializes itself from a wide array of neutrals and darks. Some ask me when and how it is that this dedication to the black and white palette came about. My response? I cannot fully recall when it all started; over the years my closet slowly began to shy away from the brights and florals. The transformation had taken place without my knowledge. I would find myself regularly purchasing stripes, leather, Alexander Wang-esque neutral tees, jeans and the occasional psychedelic patterned requisite. Though, I believe that this monochrome addiction was always hidden below the surface, just waiting to reveal itself. 

Frankly, I should have known. I mean growing up I was the tomboy who hated pink. It's not like I could help it, there has always been something so effortless and underrated in the minimalism of a colourless outfit. But, like any true abuser I have to question whether giving up this harmless indulgence is necessary. True, friends have now started to joke at the rare event in which I purchase a colourful garment; suggesting that I should know that the piece I'm wearing is not black. What they fail to realize is that in owning as much monochrome as I do, I have garnered a deeper appreciation for materials and designs rather than colours. I love the texture of suede, satin, velvet, leather and perforated items. I tend to be enthusiastic when bearing a style of prints anywhere from gingham and argyle to stripes and animal prints.

An outfit consumed by shades can add to the fixation of its details. An ensemble of dark hues will give life and emphasis to the odd pattern or pop of colour.

I suppose you can walk away from this post and presume that no, I am not yet capable of putting an end to these life choices. Then again, no one ever said to quit cold turkey. It is an adjustment I must make by gradually leaning back into some colour, maybe.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive